Thursday 15 September 2011

Things to get excited about on the Tube- twenty years later




This may mark the beginning of some train stories - travelling by train is or used to be a far more exciting journey than any other vehicle could provide. I do most vividly remember this incident and as it was both silly and dangerous - at least according to a French friend, who had been living several years in London - it is worth telling. 
In April 1991 - being pregnant in the sixth month, though nobody but my boyfriend knew - I spent 10 days in London on an excursion of the fine art department of the Westfälische Wilhelmsuniversität Münster. On a Saturday afternoon I, completely on my own, met those three guys, who were about my age, ie late teens/early twenties. They did look like, to use a neutral term, football supporters, but found it exceedingly funny amongst themselves to tell me that they had just been to Kew Gardens. And soon they had an even funnier idea, which was to find out where I was coming from. I heard about every European nation, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden and even Ireland - I wasn't aware of the fact that I looked so mundane. One country was missing quite blatantly, but probably one they did not connect with women on the Tube they were trying to chat up. So finally they gave up and asked me and I told them with a smiling face: "Germany".  

No comments:

Post a Comment